Saturday, October 30, 2010

An Attitude of Prayer

walk in the park

How can I daily forget the most basic things? God continues impressed on my heart the obvious, yet needful quality of prayerfulness. I hear a sermon on prayer. The pastor reminds us that we need to shut up and pray. {Something I need to do more often} I see the way God answers a specific pray and I get all fired up. {YES! Prayer really changes things} I read a challenging blog post on the need for more prayer and less anxiety. {I could definitely cut down on anxiety in my life}

relections

How is it so easy for me to read, hear and feel these things yet in the moment of stress, my morale and courage melts? Worry creeps back too quickly. Doubt wraps its cold, curling fingers around my heart. The warming love and deep settled peace of Jesus ebbs away.

I am thankful that Jesus is ever patience with me. I am thankful for a man who reminds me to go to Him in prayer. I am thankful for verses that bring the peace washing back in. I am thankful that my future, my money, my plans, my life, my family, my work, my ministry, my friends, my fears, my failures, my accomplishments, my everything: is all in His hands. He is not confused. He is not perplexed. He is completely and forever in control.

And that is a deep quiet peace in my heart.


the falls

- - -

I’m back on the road again… touring for Bring Me Hope. This time my travels brought me north to Ontario. {Side note: I LOVE TOURING. Sometimes when I think about the incredible blessing Jesus has given me, I shiver with thanks and excitement. Seriously. How many people get to travel and talk about the kids in China?!}

nic

There are so many things I love about Canada. Not the least of which is the plethora of their famous coffee joint ‘Tim Hortons’ where I could eat honey cruellers all day; the quaint brick home neighborhoods; my dear friends, the Andersons, who joined us the last three years at camp; the raw beauty of Niagara Falls.

Between our speaking engagements, TV interviews and lots of hanging out time with people; Lacey Scott {my amazing traveling girlfriend} and I have had so many good talks and have eaten incredible food. It's also been amazing being with my chum, Bethany. Her and I spent almost six months together in Kunming last year. We've spent the last several days laughing over our crazy adventures.

lacey bethany


jumping

On the subject of food. Seriously. I think on tour all we do is two things. Talk and eat. I should not complain because I seriously {L O V E} both those things. It’s amazing how much relationships revolve around food and talking. I’ve told Lacey I need to kick my exercise regiment up about 50 notches. It’s such a privilege to be a voice for the orphans. To speak on their behalf.

italian cafe

- - -

frothy waterIt was fun visiting Niagara Falls for the second time. Ok. Not even lying. When I see the enormity of those falls. When I hear the roar of the crashing water. When I drink in the beauty of the double rainbow. I feel this surging love in my heart for God. For His greatness. For His incredible beauty. Have you ever thought that if God can create such powerful beauty, what must He be like? Someone who can create the beauty of Niagara’s crashing water. The irresistibility of babies’ soft cheeks. The alluring nature of blue eyes. The contrast of colors in nature. The humbling awe of a star-studded sky. Begs me believe that {H I S} beauty must be infinitely bigger. Better. More awe inspiring. More to make me fall in love with Him.

a promise


D A N G E R

- - -


changing

It is simple: Pray. Give Thanks. Repeat.

It covers
all of life: Don’t be anxious about ANYTHING. Pray about EVERYTHING.

And it comes with a
promise: God’s peace will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
- Nicole Whitacre


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
(Philippians 4:6-7 ESV)

"...Thirsty souls yearn for His nearness. Nothing else satisfies. All else seems meaningless without the Lord’s presence with them. This is not a “let’s pretend” presence. It is real and living and comforting and invigorating. Lord, please give us foretastes of heaven now — on earth — and by this cause us to thirst more for You..." J. White


a view

1 comment:

Annika said...

beautiful post and pictures! I love 'shut up and pray' I need to do that more. Enjoy your time in Canada!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones